If you are a newcomer in Ontario, Canada, you have to wait for a three-month waiting period for your OHIP (Ontario Health Insurance Plan). Any of your medical services within these three months will not be paid. But this is difficult for newcomers on where to find a private health insurance to help you pay for treatments not covered during that time

1.     What Insurance Do I Need During the First Three Months?

According to the CLHIA (Canadian Life and Health Insurance Association), you are recommended to buy a private health insurance since OHIP does not cover the three months. Other insurance companies have certain rules and deadlines when you buy their insurance, especially if you will have a double eyelid surgery in Korea.

There is a possibility that after arriving in Ontario, you may buy insurance within a certain number of days. Usually, the insurance that was purchased by the visitors to Canada has plans designed for those people who do not have OHIP. If you are worried about the cost, it highly depends on the chosen company, the package, age, health condition, and the dependents’ or children’s age and health.

2.     Should I Buy Insurance Before Coming to Canada?

A lot of private health insurance companies will not cover you when you only travel one-way. Other companies will not pay for any costs you have had when you had already double eyelid surgery in Korea after you arrived in Canada. So, it is very important to read the company’s policy before you will buy the insurance plan. You must make certain that you are still covered by your insurance within the time period while you are traveling to Canada.

3.     Do I Need Private Health Insurance If I Have OHIP?

Yes, you need a private health insurance if you have OHIP because OHIP does not deal with all your medical costs. You have the option to buy the insurance plan that will pay your costs during your surgery that OHIP (Health Card) does not cover. Your employer might have many ideas for a health insurance plan that you can purchase that fits your needs.

So, it is better to check and ask your doctor and/or hospital. They can certainly determine and tell you whether your undergone treatment from your double eyelid surgery in Korea is still covered or not. Then, you can choose the insurance plan that suits your needs for not all health-related expenses, for example, cosmetic surgery, are covered by all private health insurance.


You must buy a private health insurance to pay for services that OHIP does not take account of your costs during the three-month waiting period as CLHIA recommended. There is no harm to ask for bits of advice, especially to CLHIA. The association speaks for more than 80 private insurance companies in Canada.

Please follow and like us: