To leave your familiar surroundings and be forced to adapt to another environment are indeed challenging in moving from one country to another. Many are not aware that there are consular services in Canada, what it is, and what it can do to those who want to work and reside abroad.
1. About Canadian Consular Services
Canadians consular officers will only help out as a case requires. They can give limited assistance only, payment is necessary for some of their services. The Global Affairs Canada offers a jam-packed range of effective and efficient consular services through their embassies, high commissions, consulates, and other Canadian government offices abroad.
2. Services Offered
The Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada is always ready to lend a hand to those Canadians who are traveling, studying, working, or residing abroad. So, it is so essential to know the services it can do and cannot do since it cannot provide the same services as other Canadian government offices.
Just like the lorry rental services, it is better to inquire about your requirements in order to avail the best services and price that a certain company provides for their customers. The years of experience in the industry are also important to determine if that company offers a large variety of trucks and lorries rentals.
- If there are legal issues arising, a list of local lawyers and sources of information about local laws and regulations are provided.
- Some documents are notarized.
- If ever you get arrested or detained, you can request for fair treatment under the law of that country.
- In case of a medical emergency, a list of local doctors and hospitals is provided.
- When a compulsory treatment is not available locally, a medical evacuation can be arranged.
3. Services Not Offered
However, the Canadian consular officials cannot provide the following services because it is not within their scope of duties.
- When there are private legal matters, they cannot intervene and give legal advice.
- A criminal record check representing you is not obtainable.
- The officials can neither bail you nor pay fines or any legal fees if ever you get imprisoned.
- Local authorities cannot be asked to give preferential treatments to Canadians.
- No travel arrangements can be made or any reimbursements for delayed or canceled travel.
- Job hunting and accepting mails on your behalf are not possible to assist you.
- Issuing foreign visas and/or work permits is not also allowed.
- Search-and-rescue efforts cannot be coordinated and paid just to find those missing Canadians.
Additionally, you must have an emergency plan for your family and relatives if you want to live in Canada. You should know what you need to do in cases of a natural disaster and/or civil unrest. There should be escapes routes and a safe meeting place. A 72-hour emergency kit with food, torchlight, and water must be prepared ahead of time.